Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Survivors Story!


A Survivors Story!

Standard
october_breast_cancer_month_flyer-r7f4e4afc60784273aa0410a4b9688885_vgvyf_8byvr_512
Breast Cancer affects one in eight women and we all know or know of someone affected by this disease. I first found out that Amy Lea Raglin had been diagnosed when she choose to share her inspiring journey thru social media a year ago. Since then she has successfully fought the good fight with all of it’s challenges and learned a lot along the way. Here are two of her face book posts.
What a difference a year makes.

                  
                 In Amy’s words….
931407_10200464161619134_1586788238_n
We Got This!
One week ago today…10-11-12…I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have debated and prayed over whether or not to post here, but if my story saves one person, it is worth it…so here goes
My Mammogram was normal, but due to dense breast tissue I was given the option for an additional scan….I KNEW I needed that ultrasound beyond a shadow of a doubt and we found it that way…AMAZING what God tells you when u take the time to LISTEN! i have no breast cancer risk factors in my medical history and no reason to believe I would get cancer, but I KNEW…I am blessed beyond measure to have caught it early…to have had that particular technician on that particular day…to have an amazing Ob/Gyn believe in my instincts and then lead me to the perfect surgeon.
We have run many more tests this week and will find out results of those tomorrow so we can begin making our plan of attack to kick it’s ass.
992859_10200468980219596_1987999960_n
Pray/Fight/Believe with me
I am confident we will win this, once again, beyond a shadow of a doubt. But each day I have emotions that run the gamut from fear to courage, sadness to peace…anger to acceptance. this is a tough thing to wrap your head around and I worry for my family…I hate that they have to be affected by this evil disease.
Here is what I ask of you…pray/fight/believe with me that I will know the right path to choose to fight this and for peace for my family.
I also ask that you get screened regularly yourself or make sure your loved ones do…early detection and awareness is key! and it is soooooooo easy to do.
I will try to reply to this post with updates when i can…and i want each of you who have been there for me to cry on and scream at and simply just be with that I gain strength from each of you and my love for Taylor and Tommy and my family gives me the courage and confidence to know winning is the only option here and i BELIEVE it too, with all my heart!
We got this!”
Race for the cure
Happy 1 year survivor day to me! – Amy Lee Raglin
10-11-13 “Happy One-Year Survivor Day to my sister, Amy Lea Allison Raglin – she kicked breast cancer to the curb! I am so proud of her fight and her spirit!”- April Allison Sikes at the Race for the cure
As I think back over this past year, here are a few things i have learned from cancer….
1. A phone call really can bring you to your knees…literally, like in the movies.
2. Anyone who says they aren’t afraid to die are lying.
3. Fear and panic are sneaky bastards.
4. Cancer doesn’t discriminate.
5. When you don’t think you can do it anymore, you can.
6. Cancer doctors/nurses take the time to hug you or pray for you when you need it most.
7. Cancer is expensive…really really expensive.
8. Everyone reacts differently to your diagnosis than you expect them to, and it’s okay.
9. Support comes from the least expected places and quite often complete strangers.
10. A husband who can make you laugh through your tears is a treasure worth keeping.
11. My son is stronger and more courageous at 19 than I am at 45.
12. Pink is my new favorite color and I hated it before.
13. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
14. Nurturing your friendships is time well spent.
15. Make peace with your past.
16. Be nice to strangers, you never know what private hell they are battling behind   the smile…I smiled a lot this year.
17. I need to start painting again.
18. Let go of what troubles you, worrying never changes the outcome and is a waste of precious time.
19. I am blessed beyond measure.
20. I finally understand the pink cleats and ribbons…awareness leads to early detection which saves lives…I am living proof…burying your head in the sand isn’t going to save you.
About Amy:
Amy Lea Allison Raglin, born and raised in Corsicana, TX
BFA in graphic design from Baylor University
MFA in graphic design with a minor in jewelry/metalwork from the University of North Texas
Married to Tom Raglin
1 son, Taylor Raglin, who is a sophomore  at SFASU
Textile Design Director for Kids Division at JCPenney
Hobbies – Painting murals in children’s nurseries/churches and watching Taylor play Lumberjack Baseball
Member of Zeta Tau Alpha (whose philanthropy is breast cancer awareness and research…go figure!)
!!!!Breast Cancer Survivor!!!!

Resources:
For Kids: Book Review on The Goodbye Cancer Garden by Janna Matthies

No comments:

Post a Comment